Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Hat Story

Sometimes I'm amazed at the level of absurdity that I'm dealing with. Maybe it's just because it's my life. But there are two things in all of this that will never fail to make me smile or laugh endlessly. In addition to my wonderful children, I've got the hat story.

The hat story begin in 2011. What I remember about that day is arriving home and my daughter was almost in tears saying that Daddy was yelling and he was mad at our dog and that he had thrown away all the dog's toys. 'What happened?' I asked him. ''She ate my hat,' he yelled. I have to say I was a little embarrassed and did feel bad because this was the dog that I had gotten while he was deployed and he had never wanted her.

'I'm sorry,' I said, 'but did you have to throw away her toys? She's a dog, she doesn't understand.' And I was thinking what kind of example is that for our kids. He yelled and yelled and then stormed out of the house, leaving our daughter behind. She began sobbing and saying, "He left me behind." He was her t-ball coach and they had practice that evening but he just walked out and left his sobbing six year old daughter behind. I was so upset at his behavior that I didn't even bring her to practice. Let him make excuses about why she wasn't there. Instead I took the kids for ice cream.

When he got home that night, we talked and I said that I was sorry the dog ate his hat but he shouldn't have left our daughter behind. We agreed to disagree and it was done, or at least that's what I thought.

At our first marriage counseling appointment the counselor asked why my husband had the affair. My husband said 'life is too short to be unhappy' and then he said a few years ago he had a hat. A hat that he loved and that was given to him by a good friend. A hat that he got while he was deployed. He loved that hat. Then he told his version of that day. He said that my dog ate his hat and instead of giving him sympathy over it, I got angry. And then his exact words were, "That's when I realized that she didn't understand what was important to me." So he went online and found a woman who would understand. The lesson I learned: hats = important; marriage, fidelity, family, children, honor = not important. What I also learned: my husband is seriously messed up.

The next counseling session we sit down on the couch and the counselor says, "Last time we ended with the hat story." I swear to God with all the pain I was feeling about going through counseling and trying to figure out what had happened in our marriage, I still almost burst out laughing. 'The hat story.' I can imagine the counselor saying to his next clients, 'Well, you're both messed up but at least your husband didn't have an affair because of a hat. There's hope for you.' I can imagine him writing a book about his cases and naming that chapter 'The Hat Story'.

Last night that same dog who ate that hat (and wasn't allowed on the furniture by my husband) got on the couch and curled up next to me. I texted a picture of her to my sister to show her how cute she was. My sister said, "She's thinking it took that prick long enough to move out. I chewed that hat months ago."

Laughter IS the best medicine.

11 comments:

  1. Please read my blog ex wife new life and then Have some laughs together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh, what an ass hat! your dog is a genius!
    great story, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat is a symbol of the things that are important to him. Here you are belittling it... he's right, you didn't understand what was important to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup you got that right. I didn't understand what was important to him. A hat is very important as an inanimate object. Honor, kindness, goodness, decency, honesty, friends, family, our children. All of that paled in comparison to what he held important. He's going to have to draw me a diagram because I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you have no physical object in your life that has deeper meaning to you? A ring from grandma? A family piece of furniture? The fact that he received it while deployed is huge. Also the fact that you didn't understand that this object had meaning to him is huge.

    Yes, he had an affair. But that's about the two of you. Not friends, familiy, or the children unless you make it so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually do have a ring from my grandmother that has great sentimental value to me. Would I go out and fuck somebody else if his dog ate it? No. Would I neglect my kids for so long that they just find it normal that they never see me so I can build a relationship with a whore who understands how valuable an inanimate object is to me? No. Would I lie to almost every person that cares about me for over a year because I no longer have my beloved ring? No. Would I send photos of my genitals to various strangers? No. Would I jeopardize my job over an inanimate object? No. I understood how important the hat was to him. What could I do about? Fabricate another hat? I said I was sorry and said Damn dog and I was done with it.

    If his dog ate my ring and he wasn't sympathetic enough, I would say what a jerk and be sad but then I would go along with my life because I still have the important things in my life - my family. If the hat was just a symbol for other things wrong in our relationship, I would have said - 'hey, we're not connecting, let's go to counseling' because I love my kids and I would want to try to do as much as I could to keep their family unit together. I would not have acted like a coward and ran off and had a secret life while my old life was still there waiting for me.

    And the affair is about more than the two of us. When an affair takes you away from your children over half of every weekend and gets in the way of you spending time with them during various other times and makes you pathologically lie over and over again to them and when the affair makes you break off connections from your oldest friends because you're ashamed of what you did and 'don't know what to say to them' and when your affair stops you from seeing your mother because you're too busy with your whore, yeah, the affair is about more than the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is kind of after-the-fact, but when the affair breaks the heart and home of the mother of your children, and steals her energy and peace for caring for them, then yes, it's about more than the two of you.

    ReplyDelete