Wednesday, April 10, 2013

False Eyes

Have you ever looked deeply into someone's eyes and saw their soul, their very essence of being? Yeah, me neither.

I did look into the eyes of my husband and I saw an honorable man. A man who would never willingly harm his family. A man who was brave enough to fight for his country and stood tall and brave and proud. I didn't let myself look beyond those false eyes and instead look at his actions. The little things that should have gave me pause.

I took those eyes at face value and I never questioned if everything that I saw in them was true. I trusted those eyes and was blinded by them. I couldn't see that through the years my own vision was impaired. I was seeing those eyes through a filter that I created, because that was who I wanted him to be. I carried the heaviest of loads to keep looking into those eyes, they had me fooled.

My vision is clear now and the next time I look into those eyes, I'll have my own wide open and I will see him for who is he.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Kay!! I too thought my husband was an honorable man and wonder now if that's what I wanted to see. I keep asking myself "what happened to him, why did he change into this horrible person?" Maybe this ugliness was always in him, buried underneath a facade. Now I am starting to see the real man and I finally understand the meaning of the old saying "hindsight is 20/20" Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl - I wonder the same thing. Was he always this way and I just never saw it? I guess we will never know.

    ReplyDelete